History and Mission
The USEK Library consists of the Main Library at the Kaslik campus, the library of the Regional University Center of Chekka and the library of the Regional University Center of Zahle. The USEK Library is also responsible for maintaining and managing the Conservation and Restoration Center and the Digital Development Center.
Another aspect of the Library is to preserve rare and special collections in all facets of Lebanese heritage. This collection began in 2003 with one collection -- the manuscripts of the Lebanese Maronite Order. The source of the idea came from the origins of USEK and its commitment to the preservation and promotion of the Maronite cultural heritage. It has now grown to encompass numerous print and / or digital collections such as the Maurice Gemayel Archives and the Gibran Khalil Gibran Manuscripts.
Academic Library and Beyond
The Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), as well as fulfilling its educational mission, aims to achieve a synthesis of tradition and modernism, preserving the old for the young and future generations. Since 2003, the USEK Library has a wider scope and mission to fulfill: the preservation and promotion of the Lebanese cultural and ethnic heritage. This has now developed into a massive undertaking by expanding collections, opening a preservation and conservation center, initiating a digitization center, and acquiring impressive and increasing manuscript and archives collections.
The USEK Library has gone beyond a traditional academic library of higher education. It has an even more inclusive mission: to play a fundamental role in preserving the endangered cultural, historic, and ethnic heritage of Lebanon for future generations.
As a center of intellectual inquiry, the USEK Library shares with the University the aspiration to “contribute to the welfare of the human being, all human beings, throughout education, research and publication in all fields of knowledge.”
The USEK Library aims to enrich the student learning experience; it encourages exploration and research at all levels, and contributes to advancements in access to scholarly resources. The Library seeks to empower students to foster intellectual growth in an information age that produces leaders of the next generation in Lebanon and the Middle East.
The Library continues to embrace change and thrive on diversity, to support professional growth and opportunity, and to reward flexibility and innovation.
The USEK Library supports and nurtures the mission and vision of the University. As such, the mission of the USEK Library is to provide comprehensive resources and services in support of the research, teaching, and learning needs of the University community, while maintaining a very special mission as part of the Lebanese Maronite Order’s vocation, namely, the education of the youth and the building of a humanist culture.
To fulfill this mission, the Library is committed to:
- Support the curriculum, provide access, and improve institutional outcomes.
- Develop collections while integrating print and electronic resources to remain forward-looking, diverse in breadth and form, open to browsing, and of world-renowned quality.
- Support research by building electronic gateway to global information.
- Serve and interact with a broader community of alumni, visitors and scholars.
- Provide user-centered services through innovative and technological processes.
- Expand its network through local, national and international initiatives and partnerships.
- Teach the effective use and critical evaluation of information resources.
- Collaborate with other members of the University to enrich the research and learning community.
- Ensure the preservation and long-lasting availability of resources of national and ethnic heritage.
- Provide a physical environment that promotes learning and research.
- Develop, encourage, and sustain a team of professional staff with exceptional skills, devoted commitment and an innovative spirit.