LTEC Mission and Objectives
The Learning and Teaching Excellence Center (LTEC) at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik is dedicated to the development of the professional qualifications of educators in teaching and learning through the promotion of teamwork, innovation, self-reflection and the efficient use of instructional technologies, and through sharing best practices to enhance the student learning experience.
LTEC serves USEK and non USEK faculty members by engaging and supporting them in their research-based teaching and learning concepts, and bringing them into intentional daily practice both inside and outside the classroom.
The LTEC provides a number of tools that can improve and enhance the online teaching and learning process, and also offers training on emerging digital platforms (such as e-learning) that can be used in both distance and face-to-face classrooms.
The main focus of the Learning and Teaching Excellence Center at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik is to support, promote and enhance teaching effectiveness and student learning.
LTEC aims to:
- Facilitate the professional and intellectual development of faculty, staff, and graduate students as educators.
- Promote and support a community of teachers where the theory and practice of teaching and learning are shared.
- Help faculty members develop, implement, and assess instructional approaches and methods.
- Foster innovations in Higher Education teaching and learning.
- Advocate appropriate use of technology in enhancing university teaching and learning.
- Help individual instructors assess their teaching effectiveness and their students’ learning.
- Sustain a university culture that recognizes and rewards both scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Develop and maintain learning systems and technologies that can be used by staff and students across the university to facilitate and enable the online and hybrid teaching and learning process.
The Learning and Teaching Excellence Center at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik offers diverse activities in order to meet the professional needs and development of its educators.
- Training on instructional technologies in teaching and learning
- Training on program design and evaluation
- Workshop on integrated course design and assessment
- Online courses on online course design
- Brown bag sessions
The Professional Standards Framework for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Lebanese Universities “E-TALEB” is a national project co-funded by Erasmus+ co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union. E-TALEB aims at developing the Lebanese Professional Standards in Teaching and Learning and cooperating for innovation and exchange of good practices and experiences relevant to similar frameworks established in Europe.
The main objective of this project is to support the initial and continuing professional development of staff engaged in teaching and foster dynamic approaches to teaching and learning through creativity, innovation and continuous development in diverse academic disciplines and/or professional settings. The project will support in creating a community of researchers in different disciplines who share inter and intra university practices in teaching and learning.
E-TALEB will acknowledge the variety and quality of teaching, learning and assessment practices that support and underpin student learning including instructional technology. It will also demonstrate to students and other stakeholders the professionalism that staff and institutions bring to teaching and their support for student learning.
Aims and wide objectives
E-TALEB aims to develop faculty members teaching skills and students learning experience in Lebanon by developing a national framework of good practices and shared experiences:
1. Supporting the initial and continuing professional development of staff engaged in teaching and supporting learning;
2. Fostering dynamic approaches to teaching and learning through creativity, innovation and continuous development in diverse academic and/or professional settings;
3. Creating a community of researchers in different disciplines who share inter and intra university practices in teaching and learning;
4. Acknowledging the variety and quality of teaching, learning and assessment practices that support and underpin student learning including instructional technology;
5. Assisting individuals and institutions in gaining formal recognition for quality enhanced approaches to teaching and supporting learning.
As a result, the project will have high national impact, providing at once many outcomes:
- Establishing the Lebanese Professional Standards Framework in Teaching & Learning LBPSF;
- Offering a Post-Graduate Certificate Programme in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education for faculty members;
- Collaborating interuniversity activities centered on training and educational programs;
- Creating centers for teaching excellence inside each of the participating universities that support faculty and students in their teaching and learning activities;
- Supporting the universities in their accreditation programs by having a formal process for teaching and learning;
- Developing human capital and talented experts in teaching and learning in the participating countries;
- Sustaining the competitiveness of the higher education field in Lebanon, the Middle East and the participating partner countries;
- Publishing the Lebanese Journal on Teaching and Learning.
Project Applicant and Coordinator:
- Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), Lebanon (Project Applicant and Coordinator)
- Directorate General of Higher Education (DGHE), Lebanon
- Al‐Manar University of Tripoli
- University of Balamand
- Beirut Arab University
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France
- Evalag, Germany
- Holy Family University
- Jinan University
- Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences Germany
- Lebanese American University
- Lebanese University
- University of Roehampton, United Kingdom
- Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), United Kingdom
Quality Assurance and Institutional Effectiveness Office
Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK)
Campus Kaslik, Building G, Floor 3, G 307A
Facebook: E-Taleb / Erasmus+ Project
Phone: +961 9 600 351-2
Fax: +961 9 600 671
Post-Graduate MA / Certificate in Learning and Teaching for Higher Education:
USEK offers a MA/Certificate in Learning and Teaching for Higher Education. It is designed to equip professionals who already have subject matter expertise within their academic discipline with the knowledge, skills, and credentials to teach at the university level or train in a corporate setting. Throughout the program, participants will examine the roles and responsibilities of faculty and students and acquire skills for effective teaching in both online and in-person settings. Key curriculum objectives include learning how to craft educational experiences for diverse learners, creating effective assignments and classroom materials, and developing and sustaining a vibrant learning community.
Post-Graduate Online Certificate in Teaching and Learning:
In collaboration with Norwich University in the United States, USEK offers an Online Certificate in Teaching and Learning. The program consists of two 11-week courses given online through the University’s flexible online platform, allowing faculty to access program content and contribute to weekly class discussions in their own time and at their own pace.
Post-Graduate Intensive Track Certificate:
“The Professional Educator”: “The Professional Educator” program is a special Faculty Development Module offered with the collaboration of the UT Global Initiative for Education and Leadership at University of Texas at Austin. The training module, based on ten days of instruction offered at USEK main campus, is designed for the Professional Educator to acquire instructional best practices, as well as assessment tools and techniques, and is available to USEK and non USEK full-time and part-time Faculty members from various disciplines.
Online Course about Online Course Design:
LTEC provides online courses about online course design with the collaboration of Dee Fink and Associates.
- Dee Fink & Associates, United States
- George Mason University, United States
- Norwich University, United States
- University of Chester, United Kingdom
- UT Global Initiative for Education at the University of Texas at Austin
Opening of the Learning and Teaching Excellence Center (LTEC): On Friday 22nd of May, the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik organized the Opening Ceremony of the Learning and Teaching Excellence Center (LTEC), the first in Lebanon, with the presence of Dr. Ahmad Jammal, Director General of Higher Education. The LTEC mission and activities were presented through a short video with the participation of Dr. Carolyn Creel and Dr. Laura Ewing from The University of Texas at Austin via Skype. This event, hosted by the Quality Assurance and Institutional Effectiveness Office, included speeches from Dr. Georges Yahchouchi, Deputy President for Quality Assurance and Teaching & Learning, Dr. William Clements, Vice-President of Norwich University, Rev. Fr. Hady Mahfouz, USEK President, and Dr. Ahmad Jammal, Director General of Higher Education.
Ceremony of Certificates - Online Integrated Course Design: As part of the online courses development and implementation process, the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik organized a certificates ceremony for the Online Course on « Integrated Course Design », given to 34 of USEK’s academic officers and instructors by Dee Fink and Associates. This event was held on Tuesday 26th of May in the presence of Dr. Stewart Ross, partner of Dee Fink and Associates, at the Learning and Teaching Excellence Center (LTEC)
Professional Educator Program Awards Celebration: On Friday January 23, 2015, the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik celebrated the delivery of Awards for “The Professional Educator Program for Higher Education” with the collaboration of the UT Global Initiative for Education and Leadership of The University of Texas at Austin. The event, organized by the Quality Assurance and Institutional Effectiveness Office, was opened by Dr. Georges Yahchouchi, Deputy President for Quality Assurance and Teaching and Learning, and was followed by speeches from Dr. Carolyn Creel and Dr. Laura Ewing, Workshops facilitators at UTG, Reverend Father Hady Mahfouz, President of the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, and the Director General of Higher Education in Lebanon, Dr. Ahmad Jammal.
Dee Fink & Associates Workshops Closing Ceremony: The Holy Spirit University of Kaslik organized a closing ceremony in collaboration with the Lebanese Army and the Quality Assurance and Institutional Effectiveness Office on Thursday November 13, 2014. The ceremony concluded the four days Dee Fink & Associates workshops on Integrated Course Design & Active Learning Strategies, delivered by Dr. Stewart Ross, the founding Director of the Center of Teaching and Learning at Minnesota State University and Partner of Dee Fink and Associates. During the Ceremony, 60 Certificates were awarded to the participants. The participants included a delegation of Generals and high ranking officers from the Training Directorate of the Lebanese Army, headed by General Doureid Zahereddine.
Online Certificate in Teaching and Learning provided by Norwich University, United States: In 2014, 7 faculty members successfully completed the Online Certificate in Teaching and Learning provided by Norwich University.
Awards Celebration of the Post-Graduate Certificate – USEK: The Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) organized the awards celebration of the Post-Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, and the marking of the the attainment of Fellowship at the Higher Education Academy - UK. This event, implemented in collaboration with the University of Chester, was held on Monday March 17, 2014, at 11:00, in the Archaeological Museum of USEK, at USEK Main Campus. The program consisted of graduates testimonies and speeches by Dr. Georges Yahchouchi, Prorector for Quality Assurance and Teaching & Learning, Dr. Julie-Anne Regan, PGCTLHE program leader from the University of Chester, Ms. Donna McGowan, Director of the British Council Lebanon, Reverend Father Hady Mahfouz, President of USEK, and H. E. Mr. Elias Bou Saab, Minister of Education and Higher Education.
USEK Main Campus, Building C, C 009,
Phone: 00961 9 600 350-2